What is Digital Smile Design?
Digital Smile Design is a combination of a revolutionary philosophy with cutting-edge technology. It is used to visualise, diagnose, communicate, plan, present, and perform dental rehabilitations & smile makeovers. The smile design can be applied to cosmetic dentistry treatments such as:
- Dental Implants
Conventional dentistry practises used to involve starting a specific dental treatment as soon as possible, often without considering the end result and how the smile will eventually look like. In these instances, both the function and the aesthetics of the smile may be compromised. Without a clear visualisation and a concrete goal in mind, the smile can end up looking unattractive, or may not function was well as expected.
Digital Smile Design makes it possible for you, the patient, to co-author how your smile will look like. The power to bring your dream smile into a reality relies not only on your dentist’s hands, but in yours as well. When you are given this power and knowledge, you will feel even more encouraged and excited to push through with the treatment – compared to the uncertainty of undertaking an unfamiliar procedure.
Digital Smile Design takes into consideration much more than your teeth before any treatment is done, because realistically, other factors can make or break the beauty and proper function of your smile. Any improvements on the aesthetics and use of your teeth should also consider how the procedure will affect the way you move your mouth, the way you speak, chew food, laugh, and other actions concerning your smile. A detailed facial analysis is made to see which steps are needed to provide improvements to the entirety of the smile when it is at rest, and during various movement phases.
Digital Smile Design looks at the big picture, and is not limited to any one aspect of your smile. This way, you can be confident that the treatment will give you a smile which is both aesthetically and functionally improved.
Digital Smile Design – it’s all about YOU
One of the best (if not THE best) things about Digital Smile Design is that you get to be the boss when it comes to creating your brand-new smile.
Your personality is taken into consideration at the beginning of the planning stage, and you have the power to dictate what your smile will look like. This eliminates any unwanted surprises that can arise once the treatment is finished. Your desires and goals are considered in every step of the way towards creating your beautiful smile.
Watch Gabriel’s reaction to seeing how his smile transformation can look (before having done any treatment at all)
The Digital Smile Design process
- A video is taken, as well as 3D scans of the teeth and jaws
- Video and images are sent to the Digital Smile Design laboratory
- The laboratory designs the smile
- 3D prints of the teeth are made
- Dr. Dandapat then places the 3D prints onto the teeth to show you what the outcome could look like
Watch the Digital Smile Design process
Book A Free* Consultation or Book your dental examination
*Face to face free 15min consultation with Dr Avik
Benefits of Digital Smile Design
- More predictable aesthetic planning – DSD makes it possible for both dentists and patients alike to have a clear idea of how the smile will look like, even before the treatment can begin. With this clear visual in mind, predictability of the appearance of the smile is significantly increased. Images can easily be manipulated as needed, to aid in the planning of how the smile will appear upon completion of the treatment.
- Patient empowerment –Digital Smile Design gives the patient the power to be a co-designer in what the smile will ultimately look like. The patient’s, personality, desires, and goals are taken into consideration during treatment planning, and will be used to craft the perfect smile as an end result.
- Increased patient confidence and case acceptance – It is challenging to accept something that seems too complicated and unfamiliar. DSD increases patient confidence to go through the treatment, armed with a clear visualisation of what the smile will look like after the procedure.
- Simplified evaluation of data – Digital Smile Design simplifies the information obtained through cephalometric analysis, which is the analysis of the relationships between the dental and skeletal structures in the head.